Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cochabamba (4-14-11)

The dogs either barked less or I was too tired to hear them.  The taxi arrived at the right time which was remarkable given the strikes going on that were meant to disrupt traffic.  The driver even knew a way around the stoppages to get me to La Villa.  Pretty much everyone else was late in arriving.  When enough folks arrived, we had devotions in Spanish and I was quite pleased to be able to understand the page numbers.  I rather enjoyed employing the concentration necessary to try and follow the words in another language.

As so much was being rescheduled due to the traffic issues, there were lots of idle kids.  So, Lila decided it was a good time to clean up the grounds in preparation for the group of visitors arriving on Saturday.  I found it a bit ironic that I was cleaning up basura for the visiting gringos!  Regardless, it was a pleasant way to hang out with the kids.

I again walked back to La Morada.  I was hot, but it was a nice walk.  I also added a bit more to my sunburn.  The Bolivians all think I'm crazy.  Loco gringo!  I took a nap and then prepared for Spanish lessons.  I had to recount my day in Spanish.  The experience was non-trivial, but good for me.  I feel I'm learning a lot, but will need lots of practice for any of it to stick.  That was basically what the teacher said.  I guess if nothing else 10-15 minutes a day of Rosetta Stone might be useful. 

I read at book on the importance of error (Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error).  It was very challenging.  I went to bed early (9:00) after talking with Susie.  What a luxury to be able to call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment