Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cochabamba (4-20-11)

Everyone is fully back to feeling healthy.  We are all, however, a bit more cautious about what we eat.  I am eating much more vegetarian as it is easier to not be noticed in a larger group.  When I return home, I am definitely going to miss the fresh fruit or vegetables with every meal. 

This morning we went to La Villa and walked through the surrounding neighborhoods.  Amistad is investigating building a community center to support the surrounding people to try and minimize the number of orphans.  We wanted to get a better idea what the conditions were like.

We returned for lunch.  The others then went to get ingredients to make brownies for the kids.  Amy and Walker had an annual Amistad meeting and the others made the brownies.  I guess translating things from imperial to metric units and the adjustments for the altitude made things quite an adventure. 

While they were meeting and baking, I had my Spanish lesson.  The lessons are very tiring.  I can understand and speak, but very haltingly.  I often have to close my eyes and see the words.  Obviously, that is a bit rude in a real conversation!

For dinner, we went into town to a nice restaurant (Paprika) with some of the key staff from La Villa.  The food was wonderful.  I had a very good traditional Bolivian dish called pique.  They served a cake with a large sparkler on it for Amy’s upcoming birthday.  It was a wonderful evening.

In talking on the ride back, we discussed trying to come back at around this time next year.  I'd love to come with Susie as she would enjoy meeting Amy whose new job will be establishing pediatric clinics in poor areas around the world.

It was another great day in Bolivia.  I am, however, thinking more and more about being home... 

No comments:

Post a Comment