Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cochabamba (4-24-11)

After breakfast I waited for Jose Luis and the bus to take me to Aramasi  with Diego and Doña Celia and the teenage girl's house.  Easter is a special day there where they show all the weavings and folks come from all around to buy them.  I thought I would buy something for Susie and maybe others.

Things were running on Bolivian time.  About an hour after he was supposed to arrive, we found out that he had been in an accident.  Everyone was OK, but the other driver was supposedly a drunk police officer.

So, Susana asked if I wanted to go to her church and I agreed.  We met in a home between La Morada and La Villa.  It was the first meeting of a new house church.  There were about ten people.  After introductions, the pastor spoke from the beginning of Acts.  He explained how the people were constantly in prayer and met in each others' houses.  Amazingly, I could understand almost everything he said.  A few words I had to look up in the dictionary on my iPhone.  I got more out of a sermon in Spanish than I often do in English.  It was great to have been there.

I came back to La Morada for lunch.  After lunch, Susana, her husband and daughter, Doña Celia and two of her daughters, and I took a drive to a couple of the nearby towns.  The first one, Tarata, was a quaint, rundown town.  It had a beautiful central plaza with a large church that was unfortunately closed.  The second town, Cliza, was relatively new and bustling with activity on its market day.  There were people and houses under construction everywhere.  Supposedly, much of the nicer housing on the way out of Cliza was being built by people retiring from Spain or with drug money.  It was a very interesting contrast and probably says a lot about Bolivia. 

Unfortunately, the day’s change in plans means that I did not get to buy any weavings at Aramasi and I did not get to a store.  So, I have no gifts for anyone.  In the evening, I read and started packing.  I really am looking forward to being home.

No comments:

Post a Comment