Monday, April 18, 2011

Cochabamba (4-18-11)

One of the girls, Marinely, showed me around the gardens and tried to teach me the names of the different vegetables.  One of them was a vine that looked like pumpkin, but grows up in the trees.  On one tree, we saw one of the large squashes hanging down.  She also showed me a prickly pear cactus that they call tuna.  I forgot most of the other plants.

Mike, Laura and I played with some kids in the gym.  I think Zulma was on my shoulders for what seemed like half an hour.  Ariel and some others were kicking around a small soccer ball.

Evelin gave me her email address so we could be Facebook friends.  The older kids can use three old computers (one is a 66MHz Pentium) in the library for things like that. 

We returned for lunch at La Morada with one of the girls who will graduate from college in August.  Later, the others left and I had my Spanish lesson.  As usual, I had to recount my day.  I tried to say something about buying pots and pans for the mamás.  In doing so, I learned the importance of accents in Spanish.  If you put the accent on the second syllable of mamás, it means mothers, as I intended.  If the accent is on the first syllable, it means breasts.  Whoops!

We all met up for dinner at Tuesdays with the college students.  Most are doing very well.  Claudia graduated and Mercedes is in law school.  One plays World of Warcraft.  (I was never able to figure out the right Spanish word for the character class of priest.)  It was hard to believe this was a bunch of orphans. I really wish my son, Davey, could be here with his knowledge of Spanish.

Most of the adults were feeling sick with stomach/intestinal issues even before eating.  Walker left early to take some Cipro.  Laura and Amy both felt poorly.  Mike was on the edge.  Fortunately, I felt fine.  Folks decided to not go to Aramasi tomorrow.  Just Diego (as my guide) and I plan to go.

The latest is that because of labor strikes with road blockades that no one is going to Aramasi.  We'll see how everyone is feeling and play tomorrow by ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment