Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cochabamba (4-23-11)

After breakfast, I successfully explained to Doña Celia that I was going into town with Susana and would not need lunch.  Susana, with Roberto and Anabela, picked me up at 9:00.  We headed to the Christ statue of which Cochabamba is so proud.  Like much of this city (and probably the country), it is something beautiful surrounded by ugliness.  The statue is slightly over 33 meters tall of whiteness.  Its massive arms attempt to embrace the teaming humanity of Cochabamba.  Around the statue garbage is strewn everywhere.  We did not go inside the statue because Susana warned me it smelled like a bathroom.  

From there we drove outside the city to a lake near the village of La Angostura.  We first stopped at a popular place for empanadas.  They were quite proud of them, but they tasted like overcooked bread with a little cheese in them.  I broke down and bought my second Coke Zero of the trip.

The lake was created by a small dam.  The water was a very muddy brown.  The boats on the lake looked ancient and rather unsafe.  The same was true of the swan paddle boats in dire need of some new paint.  Again, an apt metaphor for the country.

I had them drop me in the middle of the city near the Colon Plaza.  My hope was to find some wireless Internet access.  I failed at that, but enjoyed a strawberry sundae.  I walked around the city toward La Morada using my phone to look for unprotected WiFi signals or at least ones obviously belonging to an establishment of some sort.  Somehow, when I find WiFi, I don't have my iPad and when I have my iPad, there is none to be found.  I think God has kept me away from the Internet.  When I reached Cala Cala, about halfway back, I gave up and took a taxi TRUFI home.  When I arrived home, I took a nap and read until dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment