Friday, April 15, 2011

Cochabamba (4-15-11)

I had another decent night's sleep and a hot shower.  Life is good.  There were more traffic disruptions today, so I arrived at La Villa at the end of devotions.  From there I went to help Diego get a picture of the kids in one of the houses.  The church that supports them sent personalized T-shirts and hats for each of them.  Corralling and getting dressed about a dozen kids for a photo is non-trivial.  It took about 30 minutes to get a picture with at least most of them smiling. 

From there, we went to try again to get kids to make Easter cards.  The last time, we got about five made and two of those were by Diego and me.  This time Diego was better organized and had lots of markers and paper.  We had about eight to ten kids at a time making cards.  Diego had other things he needed to do, so I had a wonderful time helping the kids.  I understand color names pretty well, so I was able to find the right marker or piece of paper.  I was even able to answer simple questions like how to spell my name and how many children I have.  We had a couple girls I called máquinas de tarjetas that turned out cards like machines.  We ended up with twenty or thirty cards which Diego now has to translate.  I saw at least one card to Guillermo (me), so I considered it a successful morning.

When I was leaving, Diego said his wife (of about a month and a half) and his 3-year-old daughter were going to be out in the evening, so he invited me to come into town for dinner.  He said he'd call later to make final plans.

I again walked back to La Morada, but this time I did not have a backpack.  I just brought my point and shoot camera in my pocket.  And, I made more of an effort to walk in the shade when I could find it.  As a consequence, I arrived back at La Morada not dripping in sweat.  I was happy to have been able to explain successfully to Doña Celia that I would not need dinner since I was going out with Diego. 

Around two, Diego called to say he would have to cancel.  That left me in the awkward position of having to explain things to Doña Celia.  I decided it was easier to skip dinner since I've been eating too much anyways!  At about 6:30, Doña Celia saw I was still in my room and asked where Diego was.  I settled for saying that he could not come because of his wife.  She insisted on making dinner.  Life is definitely hard here!

I finished a second book (The Next Christians: The Good News about the End of Christian America).  The basic premise of the book is that 20- and 30-something Christians are about doing things, not talking about them.  I’m not sure how much I agree, but the stories were inspiring and I’d love to hang out with those folks.  If nothing else, I am getting a lot of reading done.  I need to get WiFi access to get a few more books downloaded to my iPad.  Maybe tomorrow I will get into town.  

I called Susie again this evening, as I have every day.  It sure sounds like she is having a tough week.  Sadly, like pretty much everything while I'm in Bolivia, it is out of my control and beyond my ability to change or help.  I fear that is what God is trying to teach me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment